Tuesday, June 14, 2016

Shanghai Disney Resort Opens to Jubilation

It’s wonderful news but it's not magic – the three-day grand opening of The Walt Disney Company’s Shanghai Disney Resort is the product of years of planning among the builders of five other global theme parks, the Shanghai Municipal Government, and joint venture partner Shanghai Shendi Group.

The resort's website, www.shanghaidisneyresort.com, is counting down to the opening.

“Years of collaboration and innovation, with contributions from Disney cast members and Imagineers, as well as thousands of artists, designers, construction workers and suppliers from across China and around the world” made it happen, notes the Disney media team, who add that the multi-billion-dollar, energy-efficient, 963-acre first phase development is Disney’s largest investment to date outside of the U. S. and one of the largest foreign investment projects in China’s history.

If your family visits Disney properties so often that you've made the kids shareholders, take note: the Shanghai Shendi Group holds 57% of the ownership shares and Disney holds the remaining 43% of shares; while Disney has a 70% stake and Shanghai Shendi Group has a 30% stake in the joint venture management company which is responsible for creating, developing and operating the resort on behalf of the owner companies.

Here are some more details from Disney for those planning a family visit to Shanghai’s newest wonder. Note that no tickets will be sold on site during the June 14, 15, 16th opening days – if you want to join the making of history you’ll have to buy them online right away.

“The grand opening of Shanghai Disney Resort is one of the proudest moments in the history of The Walt Disney Company, and we’ve planned a truly spectacular celebration worthy of this historic achievement,” said Bob Iger, chairman and chief executive officer, The Walt Disney Company. Excerpts from their press release follow.

The three-day celebration began today with the global premiere of the first Mandarin production of the Broadway hit "The Lion King" at the 1,200-seat Walt Disney Grand Theatre in Disneytown.  (You can see a short clip of Chairman Bob Chapek's introduction of the show here.)

It continues on June 15 with a grand opening gala concert at the Enchanted Storybook Castle led by award-winning composer Tan Dun, known for film scores including “Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon” followed by a Starlight Celebration dessert party in Tomorrowland. On June 16, there will be a festive dedication ceremony in front of the Enchanted Storybook Castle to officially open Shanghai Disney Resort to guests.

Shanghai Disney Resort features a newly designed Magic Kingdom-style theme park, Shanghai Disneyland, with six themed lands filled with immersive attractions, including Adventure Isle, Gardens of Imagination, Mickey Avenue, Tomorrowland, Treasure Cove and Fantasyland. These lands are located around the iconic Enchanted Storybook Castle, the tallest, largest and most interactive castle at any Disney park. The resort also features world-class live entertainment, two exquisite hotels, a shopping, dining and entertainment district called Disneytown and a 98-acre recreational area called Wishing Star Park with a lake that is open to the public.

We're delighted to learn that in honor of the grand opening, The Walt Disney Company announced a $3.1 million USD (RMB 20 million) donation to support the creation of Disney-themed play spaces in 50 children’s hospitals throughout China.
Additional information about tickets, shows, hotel offers and other events is available at the bilingual website, www.shanghaidisneyresort.com.

No comments:

Post a Comment